Archives

BrewVic – Fingerprint American Pale Ale

BrewVic setup an event where ~25 of us will brew using the exact same ingredients and compare how the resulting beer comes out.

For my version, I brewed on my BIABasket using my Cheapo Herms and my new pump. I crushed the grain at home on my JSP Maltmill set to around a ~0.030″ gap. This provided a finer crush than I had been getting at the homebrew shop.

I used a two stage water filter with an initial Doulton Sterasyl Ceramic OBE filter cartridge to knock out sediment followed by a KDF/GAC Filter Cartridge aimed at removing chlorine and chloramine.

I utilized BIABCalculator to determine the volume and temperature of strike water. It ended up recommending 6.97 gallons at 158*F. I touched up the temperature every 15 minutes by stirring and turning the propane burner on low.

I did an early touchup without taking notes. For all my later touchups I recorded the values:

Time Previous Temp Liquid Temp Grain Temp Anova SP Anova Temp
30m 152F @20m in 149F 151F 162F 158F
45m 152F 148F 149F 162F 156F
60m 151F 148F 149F 167F 156F

My new 24″ Stainless Whisk worked superbly at mixing in the grains and at resuspending the mash while adding heat. Much nicer than the spoon I had been using.

My target volume of wort was 6.5 gallons. I collected 6 gallons with no squeezing, 6.25 gallons after light squeezing. I added 0.25 gallons of filtered water to bring it up to volume. It seems like my grain absorption gallong/lb is more like 0.1 (no squeeze) not my guesstimated 0.045.

At the start of boil I added 3 drops of fermcap to avoid excessive foaming.

Instead of my normal hop spider, I rinsed the BIABasket and used that to contain the hop additions. It was a mistake. The basked clogged with hop particulate and made draining the wort a real pain. Ultimately I poured the 1.5 gallons or so through the hop spider to filter it but let it flow out to the carboy. In future; I will stick to the hop spider from the get go.

I used an immersion chiller and recirculated with my pump to speed it up. I start pumping with 10 minutes left in the boil to sanitize. I had to shut off the pump after ~20 minutes as the basket was clogged and filling. I chilled for ~15 more minutes to get it down to ~24*C.

The recipe targeted 1.052 for OG, I measured 13.6Brix which converts to 1.054 in BeerSmith2.

The yeast was dry pitched. I added ~4ml of concentrated clarity ferm with the goal of reducing gluten. I hit it with 60 seconds of pure O2 using a stainless diffusing stone.

The beer is being fermented in my temperature chamber using a DIY Black Box Brew. It’s running the default profile 0 which is:

  • 19C for 3 days
  • ramps to 21C over half a day
  • 21C for 3 days
  • Cool to ~7C over ~2 days (it’s targeting 1C but my fridge won’t go that cold)

I plan to dry hop for 4 days once it’s chilled. I will toss the hops in loose and use a filter bag over my racking cane to avoid them when transferring to keg.

Recipe Details

Batch Size Boil Time IBU SRM Est. OG Est. FG ABV
5 gal 60 min 36.1 IBUs 8.0 SRM 1.060 1.011 6.4 %
Actuals 1.054 1.01 5.8 %

Style Details

Name Cat. OG Range FG Range IBU SRM Carb ABV
American Pale Ale 18 B 1.045 - 1.06 1.01 - 1.015 30 - 50 5 - 10 2.3 - 3 4.5 - 6.2 %

Fermentables

Name Amount %
Pale Malt (2 Row) US 9.4 lbs 90.38
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 1 lbs 9.62

Hops

Name Amount Time Use Form Alpha %
Magnum 0.56 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 12
Cascade 1 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 5.5
Cascade 0.75 oz 0 min Boil Pellet 5.5
Cascade 0.75 oz 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 5.5

Yeast

Name Lab Attenuation Temperature
Safale American (US-05) DCL/Fermentis 77% 59°F - 75°F